Healthy Sugar-Free Granola Recipe
I am not a big cereal fan at all, never really have been, however, if there is one thing I do like and seem to crave every now and again- its Granola! Of course, the normal everyday granola you see is not suitable due to the high sugar content. So, I have spent some time playing around with different recipes and methods and finally have cracked it. There seem to be quite a few recipes online protesting to be healthy variations of granola, but they still are laden with sugar- honey and maple syrup are better than using refined sugars but are still sugar!
This recipe doesn’t contain any sugar at all, the only sugar content will come from any added sweetness you choose to use i.e. from fresh or dried fruit. If you do opt for adding dried fruit do be careful of the sweetened dried variety, try to go for the unsweetened. I have only used fresh berries and it was just perfect. Now don’t expect the granola to be so sweet like the kind you would buy from the supermarket- just letting you know now..it doesn’t contain the sugar so it won’t! BUT what it does have is that amazing crunch, that normally would only be obtained from using honey, maple syrup or sugar- but instead, I have used egg whites! The whisked egg whites create the golden crisp and also increases its nutrient value by boosting the protein content.
Apologies to those following a vegan diet or who are allergic to eggs, this one isn’t for you, although I did try using another recipe without eggs, but still not mastered that yet as it just didn’t come out right- I will keep trying though and let you know when I eventually nail it.
The hemp seeds I used were whole, and can be quite chewy and difficult to get your gnashers into- I chose to add the hemp also for its nutrient content with regards to fibre and protein, hemp is something I have started to use quite a bit in my cooking as it has so many health benefits- including improved digestion due to its high fibre content.
This recipe makes 6 servings (or a half cup each=58g per serving)
- 2OOg GLUTEN FREE OATS (2 CUPS) – ROLLED OATS (NOT ANY SEMI PROCESSED KIND REAL OATS)
- 40g CHOPPED NUTS (1/4 CUP)
- 30g SESAME SEEDS (1/4 CUP)
- 30g FLAKED ALMONDS (1/4 CUP)
- 50g HEMP SEEDS (1/4 CUP) CRUSHED
- 40g SUNFLOWER & PUMPKIN SEED MIX (1/4 CUP)
- 4 LARGE EGG WHITES (WHISKED)
- 1 TSP GROUND CINNAMON
- 2 TBS STEVIA (OPTIONAL)
The nuts I have used are not a must, you can use any that you prefer as most will work great.
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 105 C (GAS MARK ¼)
- IN A MIXING BOWL ADD OATS, NUTS, SEEDS, AND CINNAMON
- ADD THE EGG WHITES & STEVIA TO A SEPARATE BOWL AND WHISK, OR USE FOOD PROCESSOR. WHISK UNTIL THERE IS A SOFT PEAK CONSISTENCY
- FOLD THE EGG WHITES IN WITH THE OTHER INGREDIENTS- GIVE IT A GOOD STIR MAKING SURE ALL THE INGREDIENTS ARE FULLY COVERED.
- POUR INGREDIENTS ONTO A LINED BAKING TRAY- SPREADING OUT EVENLY
- BAKE IN THE OVEN FOR 50-60 MINS GIVING IT A STIR EVERY 15 MINS (SET A TIMER TO REMIND YOU)TO BREAK UP THE INGREDIENTS AND ENSURE EVENLY COOKING.
- THE GRANOLA SHOULD BE A GOLDEN COLOUR AND NOT OVERCOOKED SO MAKE SURE TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT.
- ENJOY! IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE J
NUTRITION PER 58G SERVING